thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > eternal water heater --what do you think

Moderated by: Admin Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
eternal water heater --what do you think  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 30th, 2007 09:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
CONCEPTZ

Hey, guys I'm a newbie to this form but I have a question? I'm currently in the market for a new water heater and I came across the Grand Hall eternal water heater system. I not that familar with the company but the product looks pretty cool.

http://www.eternalwaterheater.com

tell me what you think

Thanks JC

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Nov 1st, 2007 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  A warranty is only as good as the company.  Eternal is a nice name, but the company has not been around that long.  As with any other piece of equipment, I'd look at the "life cycle cost".  Add up the purchase and installation costs... add yearly maintenance costs... add fuel costs.  If you plan to live there ten years, make some educated guesses about fuel costs and equipment life.  Do the same for a conventional tank type heater and if you can spare some time, for a tankless unit.  Note that tank-type heaters lose very little efficiency with sediment build up.  Not so  with tankless, so they should have yearly service in hard water areas. 

In general, the more efficient and expensive a heater is, the more water you need to use to make it worthwhile.  For example, a really nifty super efficient heater will probably not be cost effective for a single person.  Water efficient fixtures and drain heat recovery  (GFX) are other ways to deal with the problem, by making it smaller ;)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 01:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
CONCEPTZ

Thanks for the info, I did some more research on the company and they've been around making gas related products for 30 years. WOW thats a long time. Reguarding there water heater it's states it's a self cleaning unit and it can replace 2 triditional tanks and can provide 276 gallons an hour at 90 degree temp rise.....sounds impressive...... I'll do some more research but it sound like a winner in my opnion.

what do you think

Thanks JC

Posted: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello:  That all sounds good.  The unknowns, despite the 30 years in business are how long this equipment will last and how much service it will need.  The design is complex and normally that means there is more to go wrong, particularly with equipment new to the market. 

If you need that sort of hot water output and you have confidence in their warranty and service and the math works, go for it... and please do keep us up to date about how it's working out :)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Dec 21st, 2007 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Squ1rrel

Yeah, I saw the display at PCBC, got to speak to the rep....did you get one? How did it work out if you did?

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2008 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
CONCEPTZ

Sorry it took so long to reply--Yes I got one and mann do I love it.... The unit was an easy install for my plumber, he basiclly took out my old 50 gallon unit and install the eternal in it's place.... Venting was so much cheaper because you can use PVC with this unit....In looking at a tankless system the cost of Stainless Steel venting scared me way too much. 

But yes the unit is great, my wife has tested to unit more then I have and she says that she ran a washer, dishwasher and took a shower all at the same time with out losing hot water....thats amazing!!!!!

Thanks 

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2008 04:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
elenano

Maybe it's a bit cynical of me, but I can't help wondering if you just happen to be a rep for Eternal, CONCEPTZ.

Nobody has ever waxed so eloquent about a water heater here -- unless they happened to be trying to sell them.

If so, watch it. I don't take kindly to other companies using my forum to push their products, especially products with questionable claims.

Randy Schuyler

Last edited on Thu Jan 17th, 2008 06:56 am by elenano

Posted: Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jlayk

How much for the Eternal, please?

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 06:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
eleent

Hello:  I think the best way to get a price is to go to their site   http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/  and see what's needed to either find a local contractor or go direct.  If it helps, I've not heard a lot bad things said about this heater since posting back in October of 2007.  That's a good sign ;)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 06:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jlayk

Thanks, I am sure you are right, just looking for a ballpark figure to see if it's even remotely feasible...sounds good in theory, but may be cost prohibitive...I appreciate your response!

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 01:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
plumbertuck

we have installed a few in Atlanta ( 5 units). The unit itself is good but there is little to no field support when there is a problem, they are available over the phone and are glad to talk to you but will not put their own boots in front of a problem unit.

Posted: Mon Mar 23rd, 2009 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
ateck

I belive GU-26 is around $2,500 & GU-32 is around $2,700. I have had my GU-32 about 1 1/2 years now and it peforms great! Grand Hall had a updated drain valve & circuit board which they sent me to replace my original (very easy to replace) and did improve performance! If you obtain there service manual it is fairly easy to diagnose and service the units (with some experance in serviceing applance's). The GU-32 replaced a 75 gal. tank type.

Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 05:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
jlayk

Beautiful, just what I needed to know!  So did you crunch the numbers to determine when the break even point is/was, or did you install based on need, like a jacuzzi that gets cold at the end of the fill up?  So do you end up using a lot more water since the hot never runs out or are you eminently socially responsible?  ;)

Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
plumbertuck

Depending on which state you are in the G 32 unit may not be able to be legally installed, In Georgia everything over 199k btu is classified as a boiler, and boilers have to be ASME rated, their units are not ASME rated. The G 26 falls under this threshold and is the unit we have been installing.

Using this heater as a direct replacement is possible but make sure that your homes gas line is sized properly and that your home can handle the increased load.

Service and support in the years to come must be considered.

be cautious !

Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2009 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
vnaranjo

I have enjoyed the trend of emails here, thanks.

Here is my current issue. I am building a custom home and after going half way with it, the owners decided to change the configuration of the master bath from a simple shower to a Kholer Dream Shower...see this link...
http://www.kohler.com/video/index.jsp?bcpid=203719180&bclid=203709844&bctid=229518145
Here are the issues I have.
I need to change my drainage from a 2 to a 3 (we are going to 4 inches)
This shower now has 12 water outlets for a total of 42GPM if everything is open at once, we have 6 body sprays, 4 head showers, 1 rain shower, and 1 handle, in addition to two speakers. everything is controlled with two digital DTV controllers, no water valves.
Originally we had installed one rinnai tankless water heater (9.4G INT WTR MAX BTUS 199000), obviously this is not going to handle the gpm. Our plumber and plumbing supplier are recommending to use three GU32 only for this shower. The price difference is huge, the rinnai cost me $1.3k, the eternal is $2.2K and I need three.

Please let me know what do you think, I am not sure if I was very clear, let me know if i need to provide more info. I just need another opinion, there is not one single plumber or builder that I know that has done a shower like this.

Thanks in advance...V.

Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2009 06:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
eleent

Hello:  You're producing a huge amount of hot water and throwing those BTUs down the drain. How about putting in a shower heat exchanger (or two) and capturing 60% of that heat?  Run the warmed water back into the cold side of the shower and your need for big burners falls off.  One other thing is to use a three inch, rather than four inch drain.   This will make the shower heat exchanger/s work better and it will allow the line to be flushed better with the water flow, helping to prevent clogs later in life. If you look here http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1625&forum_id=3&highlight=gfx+power+pipe+ , you'll come up with three manufacturers of shower heat exchangers.  That could save a lot of dollars and energy for your client :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2009 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
plumbertuck

the heat exchanger will also help with the output of whichever heater you choose, not having to apply as much heat to get to the desired output temperature.

keep in mind that your hot water demand is a mix /ratio of the output not the total of the shower head output

Posted: Mon Apr 13th, 2009 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Can Do Dan

Good day All, First let me say...Very Nice Site here.  I'd like to add to the conversation regarding the Eternal Water Heater.  I had a sitdown with the local rep, here in the Philly Area the costs are $2200 & $2500 respectively.  This rep assured me in the event of tank/ heat exchange failure, I'll get a new unit, NOT a replacement tank/ part.  Someone brought up the fuel line sizing; often overlooked.  But also look at the gas meter itself, how many CFH can it pass as well.  I am going to install the eternal in a light commercial application (something I feel more comfortable with as i hate to see an irate homeowner vs. a reasonable business owner).  I feel the Eternal is better than the Tankless designs.

I will certainly keep this post aware of my experiences.

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 07:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
eleent

Hello and thankyou!  There is no replacement for real-life, hands-on experience :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Jul 13th, 2009 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
CR Builder

Hi,

I'm a custom builder that has been using Rennai 9gpm tankless heaters in all my homes for the last three years.  We also include "instant hot water" or recirculating systems with our homes.  One thing that has me looking at the Eternal water heater is the reduced costs for hot water recirculation compared to the true tankless.  There is no need add a 6 or 10 gal. electric tank heater in the system and the plumbing is less complicated.:D 

Current time is 08:58 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > eternal water heater --what do you think Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems