thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Gas water heater wont "kick in" and heat the water

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gas water heater wont "kick in" and heat the water  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 12th, 2007 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
doitmeself

I have a natural gas water heater that sometimes just wont "kick in".  The pilot light is lite but if I turn up the thermostat nothing happens.  The burner should ignite but it don't.  If I let it sit for a couple of days it will suddenly start working again.  I assume there is a thermostat somewhere that controls this.  Are there 2?  Have read in some of the other posts about 2 thermostats, one upper and one lower.  Is this a do-it-yourselfer thing?   Where are these thermostats?   Any advice is appreciated.

Walt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Nov 12th, 2007 09:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:   You're mixing up tidbits about gas and electric heaters.  Gas heaters have only the thermostat at the bottom of the tank.  The two main suspects are the thermocouple and the gas control.  If the thermocouple works OK, than most likely it's the gas control.  Other things can play into it, like air flow into and out of the combustion chamber and how well the thermocouple is being heated and how dry everything in the combustion chamber is.  Also, as its gas you're playing with, it is a good idea to get help if needed to keep things safe.  Intermittant trouble is always the most difficult to deal with.  Do read up on gas heaters in Tanklets and good luck!

Yours,  Larry

ps. Your problem may be as simple as the thermocouple not being heated enough. ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 10:15 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Gas water heater wont "kick in" and heat the water Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems