thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Cold water line into water heater

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cold water line into water heater  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 04:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
golf4al

I recently had my water heater tank replaced. I have noticed that when hot water is being used in the house, the cold water supply line to the tank is as hot or hotter than the water leaving the tank. Was something not corrected properly during installation ? Thanks in advance, Al

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  Possibly the hot and cold lines may have been switched.  One thing that needs more attention though is that, even switched, one line would be cold and the other hot when water was first used.  It sounds like you're getting warm and hot.  Where is the cold water coming into the tank?

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Dec 24th, 2007 09:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
golf4al

First of all, thank you for the reply. The tank is located in a basement and the correct lines, hot and cold, are connected properly. I stayed down stairs while someone took a shower and felt the pipes, the cold water entered the corrct pipe and the hot water exited the correct pipe. After the water reheated in the tank and the burner shut off, I felt the pipes again, all seemed normal, cold pipe cold, hot pipe hot. After an hour I checked again, the hot water pipe was warm/hot but the cold water line was very warm. It seems that after the burner shuts off, hot water is migrating into the cold water line and I can feel it for about 2 feet of the run. Never had this problem with the old tank. The new tank is made by American Water Heater Co.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2007 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pgmr

The old tank might have had heat trap nipples (cold trap has floating ball and hot trap has weighted ball, I think).  They can help keep the heat in the tank when water is not flowing.  But as with anything with moving parts, they can cause problems of their own.

Posted: Tue Dec 25th, 2007 05:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
elenano

I think heat is simply rising into the cold line by convection. It will heat up the line until the latter makes a downward turn. When the water heater runs, cold water flows in and the line cools down. When it sits, the heat rises, even into the cold line. I'd suggest you insulate the cold line to reduce standby radiant heat loss.

Randy Schuyler

Current time is 08:09 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Cold water line into water heater Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems