thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Pilot out on State Gas Water Heater model #GS640YBRT

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pilot out on State Gas Water Heater model #GS640YBRT  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rlm5114

I had a gas water heater replace in Feb 2007.  The new one was State Model #GS640YBRT.  The pilot light kept going out and finally would not relight at all.  A plumber checked it out and 13 days later replaced the thermocoupler.  He lit the pilot and it worked for about 2 hours.  Now the electronic ingition button doesn't work either.

The external filter is clean and there is no draft in the room at all.  Gas pressure is fine and has not been shut off.

I also see on the Web where others with this model have had similar problems.

Any suggestions, before I call the plumber back.

Thank you.

Last edited on Sun Jan 13th, 2008 03:00 am by rlm5114

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jan 13th, 2008 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

Yes. Call State. The tank is still under warranty and they may have some more ideas. Their number is 800-365-8170

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
rlm5114

Results.   The thermocoupler was replaced along with the pilot light mechanism.  Still, the piolt light went out within an hour and would not re-ignite.  Then they checked the filter screens with no luck.

They ended up replacing the entire unit with a new one.  The replaced unit was about 10 months old.  

Posted: Sun Aug 9th, 2009 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinl79

I have this exact same model and problem, went through a replacement already years ago. They keep telling me to clean the internal screen which I do about every 6 months and still have the problem occasionaly and during extreme weather changes.

It's in a room next to a furnance, water softner, washer and dryer, upstairs in a two story townhome. The air intake is about 10 feet away. I have a rolling storage unit in front of it, which I have moved before to see if it make a difference, and it did not. I noticed also that the inside is appears rusty. And the electronic ignition doesn't create spark many of the times I press it.

This brand is more of a headache than I can handle anymore. I am close to replacing a unit that is less than 5 years old.

Posted: Sun Aug 9th, 2009 05:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
elenano

You may be closer than you think. Using a water softener speeds up anode consumption and shortens tank life. If you haven't been checking and changing the anode during those five years, then the rust you see inside could mean the tank is getting toward its end. And this will be true of any water heater, so if you replace it, keep a closer eye on the anode.

The federal government mandated these flammable vapor ignition retardation (FVIR) systems in 2002 and they have caused everybody a world of trouble ever since.

Randy Schuyler

Current time is 07:53 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Pilot out on State Gas Water Heater model #GS640YBRT Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems