thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > GE 40g gas Powervent intermittantly fails to start requiring

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
GE 40g gas Powervent intermittantly fails to start requiring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 11:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
joaklay

Hi,
Over a year ago, 12/06 I replaced a water heater with the Powervent and had no problems with it for 1 year.
  Last december it started acting up. It'll fail to light the burner and flash a code.
A simple "re-boot", on/off with its power switch gets it going everytime and it'll be fine for a day to a week or two without needing another re-boot.

The codes possible cause: Lockout condition. Ignition failure after third ignition attempt.
  If I'm down there, I do hear the ignitor clicking away for what seems to be longer than usual before it ignites.

One of the less permanant listed possible cures is to clean any scale buildup from the burner and pilot assembly but is that likely with such a new unit?

Another, "check spark ignitor assembly for damage", possible?

A friend of mine said he knows someone else with one of these and it had something to do with wind blowing through its exhaust vent. Like mine, his also vented on the west side of the house so perhaps on windy days it's an issue?
He changed the vents direction or angle to cure it. There is no pilot so it's not as if a pilot lights blowing out. Anyone hear of that?
  The model # is GG40T06PVJ

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ej

Do you have a wiper control or  honeywell gas valve?  Both can have their pilot gas redirected by wind coming in through the venting.  A simple wind guard should prevent this from happening.  If you can catch the problem while it's happening you can extend a lighter to the pilot during the non-lighting ignition stage and see if the pilot lights from the flame.  If the pilot gas is not present then replace the wiper control.  If it lights from the flame and you have spark then you need to reset the gap so the spark lights off the pilot gas.  If your pilot lights from the spark but the sparking continues then from my experiance it is the wiper control. 

Posted: Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 11:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
joaklay

There's nothing in front of the water heater, no gas valve besides that which is part of the water heater itself.

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 01:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ej

Here is a parts breakdown so you can correctly identify what I was talking about in the above post.

http://waterheating.rheem.com/content/resources/documents/parts_catalog/PartsGuide_Contractor.pdf

Posted: Thu Apr 24th, 2008 11:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
joaklay

I see but in my owners manual with parts list, they just call that a gas valve.
 The water heater has a 6 yr parts warranty but labor isn't covered.

I never catch it failing but when I'm down there and hear it starting, it seems that the ignitor's sparking alot IMO. I wouldn't think that it'd normally take that much sparking to light a flame.
 Perhaps the ignitors air gap isn't right?

Posted: Fri Apr 25th, 2008 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ej

I would suggest calling rheem and see what company they recommend to help you diagnose the heater's problem.  It a more advance ignition system than most heaters.

Posted: Mon Apr 28th, 2008 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
joaklay

I called the 800 # on the hot water heater, talked to a tech support guy, told him the code and he overnighted me an ignitor assy, free of charge.

So today I opened it up and to my surprize, there was alot of rust particles all over the pilot and burner assy. I wouldn't have suspected that in 1 yr of service and it's likely that that rust in itsself was the problem but having the new part, I still went ahead and replaced it anyway.
   I vacuumed up all the rust.
 It now starts up without hearing the ignitor clicking excessively so I'm sure it's fixed, at least until more rust re-appears.
   Maybe that only happened initially? I'll see.
Either way, it's very easy to remove the burner assembly and clean it out.

Current time is 06:54 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > GE 40g gas Powervent intermittantly fails to start requiring Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems