New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Watts Governor 80  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 04:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RDALEV
Inactive

I recentely had to install a thermal expansion relief valve in my house to meet code. I chose the Watts Governor 80 which installs inside the toilet tank.

With- in an hour of flushing the toilet, the tank fills to the overflow pipe via the thermal expansion valve and contiually runs water into the bowl. Is this normal, for the valve to continually release water, or is something wrong and I'm wasting water ?

I understand this valve is suppose to relieve pressure above 80, but 24 hours a day ?

Thanks for any input as there is not much info. on this device on the web !;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ej

Have you checked your homes water pressure?  80 psi is not uncommon for many homes.  Take a gauge and place it on the hose bib where the water enters the home.  Do you have a regulator on your inlet?

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RDALEV
Inactive

Just got a gauge and will be checking on household water pressure later this afternoon!

Posted: Wed Apr 11th, 2018 04:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SolarBill

Hi Tank Water Heater Gurus,
What a wealth of info and experience you offer on this site.
I had never heard of the Watts Governor 80, now called Governor M2. Clever way to dispose of drainage if expansion occurs frequently. Do other thermal expansion relief alternatives exist?
Thanks,
Bill Loesch

Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2018 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
eleent

Hello, Not sure there are other creative ideas like the Watts toilet fill valve, but we do have the basic tools like expansion tanks, for thermal expansion, or even well tanks to equalize pressure.  We can use pressure compensating aerators to get equal flow under a range of pressures from 20 to 80 psi. One can get adjustable relief valves that open wherever you set it to. Install that downstream of a pressure reducer and when the reducer fails, you'll see it at the relief valve.

Do you have a specific problem you'e dealing with?

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2018 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
SolarBill

Larry,Thanks for the reply, I have experience with all the items save the well tank and wells are not prevalent in this city. Always open to new ideas, expansion tanks are rarely pressurized properly so alternatives could be beneficial. I would have never guessed a toilet fill valve and a pressure relief valve would be combined.

Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2018 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
eleent

Hi,  It's amazing to me how many plumbers don't carry pressure gauges!  It's an essential tool for diagnosing and understanding plumbing systems. With a water pressure gauge and a tire pressure gauge, expansion tanks can be filled properly and then function properly. :cool:  DOT limits fill pressure to 40 psi for shipping pressure tanks, but that isn't the water pressure most homes have. I just installed a well pressure tank yesterday and it came filled only to 28 psi. We plumbers need to measure!

Yours, Larry

Current time is 04:03 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Watts Governor 80 Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems