Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
spitting hot water line  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 20th, 2009 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
lola15

I have an electric hot water heater that was installed 4 years ago. The heater is a Sears Economizer 5+, 40 gallon heater that was actually manufactured in1992 (it was in storage for a while, but brand new until installed). This past Friday the outside temps really dropped and I noticed a spitting coming out of all my faucets when the hot water was turned on. I had hot water at the time and no water on the floor in the basement. Sunday I did some wash and noticed the hot water was only warm, didn't really think to much about it until Monday when I went to take a shower and had no hot water. I checked my breakers and tried to reset the water heater to no avail. I am thinking of replacing the element, it looks like there is only one, to see if this helps. What could the spitting be? If it is the hydrogen gas due to the anode then would it still happen when the water is not heated? I don't soften my water and it is city water. When I turn the closest faucet to the water heater on hot water (100% hot), I get a normal stream of what should be hot water and the faucet runs for 10 seconds before it starts to spit..Any ideas?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jan 21st, 2009 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  I see no reason an anode would suddenly start getting overactive.  So, where else could air come into the lines?  Possibly, frozen lines needed repair and air got in from water company work.  The heater is a natural place for very small bubbles to collect.  That doesn't address the no hot water problem though.  I'd try to solve that one first and see if the air problem remains.  If it does, there is some water problem on your property to deal with .  If not, go celebrate :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 03:59 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > spitting hot water line Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems