thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Gas Water Heater Not Maintaining Temperature Overnight

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gas Water Heater Not Maintaining Temperature Overnight  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 4th, 2005 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dsking

I have a problem that has stumped my neighbor who is a plumber...the first shower (or any use) in the morning is cold water. But a short time after the first use the water is hot. In order to get a hot shower first thing in the morning I have to run the dishwasher on the timer to begin at about 3:00AM to get a hot shower at 5:00AM. Why doesn't my 7 year old water heater maintain the hot water temperature for prolonged hours of non-use (i.e. any period more than about 5 hours)?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Mar 4th, 2005 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

May I suggest that you search on the word "deadband" and read another post further down in the board on the same subject? You're not alone. :wink:

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Fri Mar 4th, 2005 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dsking

elnano wrote:May I suggest that you search on the word "deadband" and read another post further down in the board on the same subject? You're not alone. :wink:

Randy Schuyler

Thank you for your reply. I read your "deadband" response as directed. But you mean to tell me that you live with this cold water problem every morning? Running the water for 10 minutes prior to the first shower every morning is not only inconvenient, but seems terribly wasteful.

Would a new thermostat correct the problem?

dsking

Posted: Sat Mar 5th, 2005 05:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello: The thermostats in modern heaters are not very responsive to slow temperature change. A way around that which would increase satisfaction is to install either a recirc system or a Metlund type system. A normal recirc system requires running a return line back to the heater. The Metlund ( http://www.gothotwater.com) does not. Either system will put cool water back in the tank, making the thermostat wake up and turn on the heater. A normal recirc would use a timer set to run 10-15 minutes before you need hot water, or with Metlund, there is a remote control you could push on getting up. In addition to getting the heater up to temperature, you would have quick hot water. Hope that helps.

Yours, Larry

Current time is 01:59 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Gas Water Heater Not Maintaining Temperature Overnight Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems