thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > high pitch sound from turned-off gas water heater

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
high pitch sound from turned-off gas water heater  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jay

We heard a high pitch whinning sound (not exceptionally loud) and traced it to our Craftmaster (1990-glass lined 40) gas water heater.  We turned it completely off, including pilot light and water supply, and it is still there.  There is no electricity near the area.  (there is not a drop of water anywhere around the area)  When you hold your ear to the tank, you can hear it...it seems to be coming from inside the tank.  

Any suggestions.   Could it possibly be caused by the anode?  We haven't been able to extract it (shallow-head hex type) with our 6 point socket and extra "pull handle".

We have probably used  the heater very little over the years as we are retired and only turn it on for bathing since we try to be "green" and use cold water for laundry, dishes, etc., and use a clothes line outback. 

Thanks for any help,

Jay - New Orleans

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

Any chance you have a recirculation line and pump? When the latter start to burn out, they sometimes make noise.

Beyond that, the fact that you can still hear it when everything is off makes me wonder if what you're really hearing is something else in the plumbing system that is broadcasting the sound through the pipes.

Water heaters simply don't make that kind of noise and the anode reaction, being passive, makes no noise at all.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
eleent

Hello:  Sound travels much faster through water and metal than it does through air.  This makes it really hard for humans to identify the source of the sound.  Perhaps if our ears were further apart, it would be easier :cool:  I'll suggest you turn power to the house off (be aware of electronics) and see if the noise stops.  Checking individual breakers will then narrow things down.  If that isn't it, turn off water to the house and open a tap to relieve pressure.  Does that do it?

I'm wondering what in your home's plumbing uses electricity.  Do you have a softener?

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jay

:)thank you both.....you are right.  I turned the incoming water valve off and the noise stopped.  I then walked around looking for a leak (we had a record-breaking freeze recently and our house is 100 yrs. old and raised one foot with no pipe insulation).

I found a water hose out back which happen to have a split from the freeze and was on a offshoot (but buried 40 feet out) line/faucet directly from the water heater line.

Now if we could just get:Xthe hex nut off and replace the rod!!! One member said he machined the 6 point socket down flat to grab better so we might try to use a file to do that.

thanks again,

jay - new orleans

Current time is 01:00 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > high pitch sound from turned-off gas water heater Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems