thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Water Heater Electrical Short

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Water Heater Electrical Short  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 17th, 2010 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
pegraves

I installed a new Whirlpool 50-Gallon Energy Smart Electric Water Heater EE2H50RD045V myself several months ago. I thought I did a good job installing it. Just my luck, after returning from a short vacation, I had no hot water. I found the circuit breaker had tripped. I noticed a burn hole in the plastic control panel of my water heater. With the power off, I removed the cover to find that one of the wire nuts melted and the wire (fortunately) shorted on the ground wire. About three inches of wire insulation melted away. I installed this unit so I figure I screwed something up. What might have happened?

Attachment: 001.JPG (Downloaded 20 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon May 17th, 2010 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  After hooking it back up, does the heater function?  If so, it's no harm, no foul. As to the cause, I can only guess, loose wire nut--- hot wire stripped a touch too far back.  Possibly a power surge from the utility company, but I'd expect damaged electronics in that case.  You may want to wrap the ground wires in green tape.

Are neutral and ground good at your main breaker panel?  I'm playing with a house now where the low-bid handyman did a lot of electrical work and it's sorta scary :shock:

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Wed May 19th, 2010 02:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ej

Also check for proper wire size making sure it is sufficient for your size heater's amp requirement. Depending on your wire size those red wire caps might be to large for your wire. Also make sure you wrap any wire nuts with electrical tape down one inch onto the wire to stop them from coming loose.

Current time is 11:05 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Water Heater Electrical Short Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems