Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
making heat traps  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 24th, 2010 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
suki

I want to make heat traps for a new water heater but need some input. I know the best construction would be from tubing and elbows. What would be the best dimensions for an upside -down "U"?

If I decide on using flexible tubing to make a heat trap, do you suggest copper or stainless steel ? Do you have any information on problems with either (like cracks and leaks)? Also, is there any dielectric activity between stainless steel and copper  (or any other metal ) that would be harmful?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jul 26th, 2010 05:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  In general, I like to use flex connectors as it is quick and easy to make a heat trap six inches deep with a 24" connector.  Either copper or stainless is probably good but might depend on your water.  If it's acidic, stainless would probably hold up better.  There should not be a situation where you need to put flex lines of different metals together.  If putting a stainless flex on copper pipe, the dielectric on the end should separate the metals.  Anyway, it's been done for years with no damage I've ever heard of ;)

Yours,  Larry

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 07:34 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > making heat traps Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems