thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Does thermal expansion bypass heat traps?

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Does thermal expansion bypass heat traps?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 25th, 2010 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dyilogger

I just looked at my water heater thats was installed a few years ago, and I noticed the expansion tank was installed on the hot water side of the water heater. According to the manufacturer, it should be installed on the cold water side of the water heater. Although the plumber may have totally done an improper installation, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. Is it ok to assume that he installed it on the hot water side because the cold water heat trap when seated, in theory, would prevent back flow expansion of hot water, therefore, the only expansion could take place on the hot water side? I believe the heat traps are the ball variety.

Should I have the expansion tank moved to cold water side?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jul 26th, 2010 01:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

The main reason for putting it on the cold side is that if it is hot water that backs up into the expansion tank, it will degrade the rubber diaphragm inside the tank.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Mon Jul 26th, 2010 06:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
eleent

Hello:  An interesting thing that happens when the expansion tank is on the hot side is when someone opens up a big cold tap, hot water gets pushed from the heater into the cold line.  You may not feel the effect, but it is an energy waster.  The heat traps are designed to leak water past, so will not get in the way of expansion tank operation.  Anyway, you have two reasons to put it on the cold side ;)

Yours,  Larry

Current time is 11:56 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Does thermal expansion bypass heat traps? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems