Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pop-off valve leaking  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
pardad

My electric hot water heater is constantly but slowly expelling water through the pop-off valve.  I've changed the valve but water is continuing to drain.  I haven't experienced any noticable increase in water pressure (I have a pressure regulator upstream of the water heater) and it checks at 45 psi by gauge at my outside faucet closest to the water heater.  I've also turned the thermostat of both the top and bottom elements down to 90 degrees to see if one was getting too hot and building up pressure that way but no help on the water usage which has doubled in the past two months just from this constant draining.  Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited on Sun Oct 9th, 2011 11:24 pm by pardad

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  Something isn't adding up.  The only thing I question is you don't say you have an expansion tank.  With a regulator, you need one of those downstream, so thermal expansion has a place to go.  Otherwise you'll get pressure spikes even with only a little heating.

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Sun Oct 9th, 2011 11:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pardad

No expansion tank.  But then this water heater has been in place for at least 4 years without one and no pressure problems until now.  The only plumbing work I've done (other than replace the pop-off valve) is to replace the faucets in our bathrooms.  I'm stumped.

Posted: Mon Oct 10th, 2011 05:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello:  To start, in "tanklets" you'll find "temperature/pressure relief valves".  Have a read through it.  Then, run water so you know the heater is working and go sit by that gauge.  Make sure nobody draws water during this test.  Watch the gauge and see if while heating the pressure rises well above 45 psi.  I imagine it will and you'll know for certain why the relief valve is leaking ;)

Yours,  Larry

ps.  There is the off chance the gauge doesn't work.  Most hardware stores sell a 0-200 psi gauge that screws onto any hose thread (like the drain of the water heater) for around $15.  A gauge is so important, one of the frequent contributors here uses it as his logo!

Posted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pardad

Problem solved. Went to a different home improvment store and bought their brand of TPR valve. No more leaking. Sometimes the obvious is the last thing we look at. Thanks for the help here. Would never have suspected bad valves without reading through this forum.

Current time is 11:50 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Pop-off valve leaking Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems