thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Moving a gas water heater outside

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Moving a gas water heater outside  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 13th, 2011 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Army-Ant

My water heater is currently located in my kitchen in a small closet that shares an exterior wall to my backyard.
I would like to move the water heater OUTSIDE (just on the other side of the wall where it is currently located). The space outside is on my wood deck that has a overhead gabled roof. The plan is to place the water heater in the corner and build 2 walls to enclose it. My questions are:
1. Do I have to have an exhaust vent if the top of the enclosure is not closed off?
2. If I close the top of the NEW outside closet, how far straight up do I need to go with the exhaust vent before I can start angling the vent pipe?
3. Do I need to be concerned that the majority of the area around the NEW closet is all wood?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Oct 13th, 2011 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
banjodog

#3 - probably not, but you may need to insulate the heater and pipes, and possibly the room it's in. You're moving it from a constant 70 degree environment to one where the temp varies quite a bit (+105F to -20 here).

search for 'outdoor water heater enclosure' and you may find more info.

Posted: Fri Oct 14th, 2011 02:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Army-Ant

Thanks for the response. I will use your advice.
I searched the forum for outdoor enclosures, and came up empty.
I googled it... turns out that Lowes and Home Depot sell pre-fab metal enclosures. They're not expensive... wouldnt mind buying one considering the time factor building one.
BUT... Im still left with my initial question... do I have to vent (exhaust) the heater if its sitting outside undercover? The roof of my deck is about 11' high.

Posted: Fri Oct 14th, 2011 06:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello:  Rules for venting are complex.  They can't terminate close to openable windows, there is a minimum height, there is a vertical vs horizontal calculation, there are rules about how high one must go over a roof depending on roof pitch, clearances to combustibles and on and on...  I think you're best served by getting the rules from your building department.  There is just too much here that can be done wrong which could hurt someone.

NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) has the rules ;)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Oct 14th, 2011 07:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
elenano

Go to Tanklets using the link at the top of the Tank topics index and look for something titled "Water Heater Outside."

Randy Schuyler

Current time is 05:06 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Moving a gas water heater outside Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems