|Joined: ||Sun Jul 2nd, 2006|
|Location: || |
|Hi Everyone! This is a great place to discuss the types of issues that the local plumbers laugh at you about!
Anyway..My future inlaws have a small farm near Hudson, NY. On the farm they have a small guest house and a main house. Both houses have separate wells and are about 200 yards apart.
About a year ago, I was visiting for the first time and stayed in the guest house. What a Stink! I almost passed out when I went to take a shower. The rotten-egg smell was overwhelming. There was no water treatment system installed, and the house had a relatively new, <4 years old, 40 gallon electric hot water heater. I immediately identified it as Hydrogen Sulfide gas and it was coming out both the cold and hot taps. Apparently, this area has many wells with a high sulfur content that is all natural. After much research, I installed the MacClean SUL-X sulfur removal system. This is an injection system that does not use chlorine. It precipitates the sulfur in a special filter media.
After installation, I drained the hot water tank and poured in some clorox bleach to sanitize the heater. After flushing the system and pipes with the clorox, all smell seemed to be gone and great showers began!
A few weeks later, we visited again. No smell in cold water, but the hot water was stinky as ever!. I did some more research and found this site. I removed the factory anode and replaced it with the special alloy rod advertized in this site. I sanitized the tank again and all seemed to be well.
A few weeks later we visited again. Keep in mind that nobody is using the house between visits. I opened the hot water, and its stinky again!! Arrrgggghhh. The cold is fine. If I drain and refill the hot water tank, the smell is gone for the rest of the weekend.
My questions are: What are my options now? Is there something I need to do to get rid of this smell once and for all? Did the excessive sulfur in the system prior to the MacClean system install do something bad to the water heater? Please help!
BTW...the heater is running at about 120-130F.