thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Arrgh..Smelly Water Saga Continues..

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Arrgh..Smelly Water Saga Continues..  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 2nd, 2006 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ljsmith1

Hi Everyone! This is a great place to discuss the types of issues that the local plumbers laugh at you about!

Anyway..My future inlaws have a small farm near Hudson, NY. On the farm they have a small guest house and a main house. Both houses have separate wells and are about 200 yards apart.

About a year ago, I was visiting for the first time and stayed in the guest house. What a Stink! :shock: I almost passed out when I went to take a shower. The rotten-egg smell was overwhelming. There was no water treatment system installed, and the house had a relatively new, <4 years old, 40 gallon electric hot water heater. I immediately identified it as Hydrogen Sulfide gas and it was coming out both the cold and hot taps. Apparently, this area has many wells with a high sulfur content that is all natural. After much research, I installed the MacClean SUL-X sulfur removal system. This is an injection system that does not use chlorine. It precipitates the sulfur in a special filter media.

After installation, I drained the hot water tank and poured in some clorox bleach to sanitize the heater. After flushing the system and pipes with the clorox, all smell seemed to be gone and great showers began!:D

A few weeks later, we visited again. No smell in cold water:cool:, but the hot water was stinky as ever!:X. I did some more research and found this site. I removed the factory anode and replaced it with the special alloy rod advertized in this site. I sanitized the tank again and all seemed to be well.:?

A few weeks later we visited again. Keep in mind that nobody is using the house between visits. I opened the hot water, and its stinky again!! Arrrgggghhh:X:X. The cold is fine. If I drain and refill the hot water tank, the smell is gone for the rest of the weekend.

My questions are:  What are my options now? Is there something I need to do to get rid of this smell once and for all? Did the excessive sulfur in the system prior to the MacClean system install do something bad to the water heater? Please help!

BTW...the heater is running at about 120-130F.

Thanks!

-Larry

ljsmith1@prodigy.net

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jul 3rd, 2006 07:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello:  The problem is in the intermittant use of the heater. If usage were more frequent, the problem would go away.  One halfway measure would be to turn power to the heater off during periods of no use. Less heat will slow bacterial growth.  If that doesn't do it, I'd turn off power and drain the tank between uses. The bacteria wouldn't like that :cool:.

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Sat Jul 22nd, 2006 02:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ljsmith1

Has anyone thought of a recirculating system that injects small amounts of Chlorine into the hot water heater while it sits? The Chlorine will provide an O2 source so that the bacteria will not develop.

Just a thought.:? I hate the idea of having to drain the heater every time I visit to get rid of the smelly water. I also don't want to leave it empty as more corrosion would possibly occur along with more nasty bateria....

Thanks!

-Larry

Current time is 05:50 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Arrgh..Smelly Water Saga Continues.. Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems