thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Reusing old power vent and Intelli-vent control on new water heater?

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Reusing old power vent and Intelli-vent control on new water heater?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 17th, 2017 05:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
arch

Newbie here...I have a natural gas AO Smith Power Max 50 gallon series 100 manufactured mid-2008 that has started to leak. It is power vented as it is in the basement and exits at the back of my house (I assume because of our cathedral ceilings). It has a power vent on top and a White-Rodgers Intelli-Vent gas/ignition/thermostat control. As I look for a replacement, can I buy any natural gas water heater and reuse the old power vent and intelli-vent control? One of them? Or do I have to purchase one that is power vented by the manufacturer? If I can reuse the control, should I?Also, our elevation is about 6200 feet, is there anything I should know about manufacturers, models, types, performance, efficiencies, etc. of water heaters being used at what most consider " high elevation"? Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks! - Arch

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  Yours is a good question and seems like a great way to save money, but any manufacturer would just cringe reading it!  There is a liability concern, as you would be altering the design of the heater.  So warranty would likely be voided and the potential for liability is real should anything ever go wrong with the heater. A compromise might be to save the parts as spares, should you ever need them. ;)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Sun Jun 18th, 2017 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
arch

Thank you. We've only replaced direct vent water heaters in previous homes...power vented is a new concept but I understand the manufacturing/ warranty/iability issue. Your information is greatly appreciated.

Current time is 08:34 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Reusing old power vent and Intelli-vent control on new water heater? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems