thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Anode unthreaded but stuck in tank

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Anode unthreaded but stuck in tank  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 10th, 2017 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mtleb

I have a 55 gallon Kenmore electric WH which I'm trying to replace the anode rod on. I can raise the rod about 2 inches before it gets stuck. It appears that there is a white buildup on the rod making it too big to pass through the tank hole. Any ideas to remove it? I can't put much force on it because the rod cap only partially clears the outer housing.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Oct 11th, 2017 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  Two tricks come to mind.  First is to slowly rotate the rod while at the same time push it as far as you can back and forth... while pulling up.  This will break off any deposits. Should you have an aluminum anode, which can expand when corroding, this back and forth will shrink it back down. Trick number two is to grab the head of the rod, or just under it with large pliers and use the handle of a pipe wrench to act as a pivot point for the pliers to rotate on.  The pipe wrench should simply lay on top of the tank, close to the anode.  This will give you good force for pulling the rod up. Do let us know how it goes!  :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Wed Oct 11th, 2017 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mtleb

I was able to get just enough of a bite on it with a large screwdriver to pry it up. There was just one spot holding it and once that cleared the rest came right out. It definitely needed replacing. A new one should be here Friday. Thanks for the help.

Posted: Thu Oct 12th, 2017 09:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
geno03245

Would filling the tank with water and vinegar dissolve the build-up?

Posted: Thu Oct 12th, 2017 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
eleent

Hello,  I've been thinking about your question and it does come to mind that there used to be (and still is) a citric acid descaler called Mag-erad.  So, clearly a weak acid can be used for a short period of time.  If it's calcium or magnesium build-up on the rod, it could help.  But it likely is aluminum corrosion byproduct... so, not sure it would do much good.  Vinegar certainly would help with sediment in the tank as it works for descaling a tankless heater.  But, for anode removal, brute force still seems to be the right tool. :D

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2017 07:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
geno03245

Thanks

Current time is 04:27 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Anode unthreaded but stuck in tank Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems