Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Dip tube question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 12th, 2018 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Nickbbb

I am certain that my dip tube has reached the end of its life. But I am unsure after research what type of dip tube I need. Do I need one with a threaded nipple or no? My heater is a AO Smith 52 917. Thank you for your help!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 12th, 2018 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

It's your choice. Either will work.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Mon Feb 12th, 2018 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
ODA

Last edited on Mon Feb 12th, 2018 07:50 pm by ODA

Posted: Mon Feb 12th, 2018 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ODA

Nickbbb: I am unsure after research what type of dip tube I need. Do I need one with a threaded nipple or no?

Well, let's back up a bit. Are you looking to get a straight dip tube? Or a curved dip tube? And do you know the different function(s) that each does?

Not being sarcastic.

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2018 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Nickbbb

Not taken as sarcastic at all bud. I am getting a straight one. I flush my water heater bout every 4-6 months, and have since it was installed so I don't think I need a curved one to circulate the deposits. It gets wrapped into my house maint.

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2018 06:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ODA

Nickbbb: I am getting a straight one.

I suggest looking at the condition of the current nipple. If it is corroded, it may be difficult to remove.

I don't know how experienced you are. This is what has happened with inexperienced, but willing people who have tried to remove stuck water heater nipples.

Homeowner is working in the evening after work. Alone. First, a standard pipe wrench was used. The nipple did not move. More effort was used. The entire water heater started to rotate, instead of the nipple. Various efforts to brace the water heater were employed. Then a pipe breaker bar was put over the handle of the wrench. But incorrect technique was used (not having three points of contact with the nipple and pipe wrench jaws) and the nipple started to collapse. Homeowner now realizes he has past the point of no return. Either the nipple comes out, or the house goes without hot water till the next day. Eventually, with an all out effort, the nipple is removed. But it was a close call.

So...don't be that guy.

Use good technique with the pipe wrench. Also, putting a bolt inside the nipple will also help prevent the nipple from collapsing.

A 60 inch pry bar or its equivalent can be placed between the hot and cold nipples for leverage to keep the water heater from rotating. Also, a full water heater will resist rotating much more than an empty water heater. So don't drain the water heater all the way down.

Have a good sized piece of pipe in place if you need extra leverage on your pipe wrench.

Two hands are better than one. If you have a helper with you, they can help hold the water heater in place while you use the pipe wrench.

Try not to do this at night, after the hardware/plumbing supply shops have closed in case something goes wrong. If you must do it at night, consider having a few extra parts on hand, in case something goes wrong, or a part is not reusable.

After you get the nipple off, it is like Randy said. A threaded dip tube or drop in dip tube is entirely up to you.

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2018 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Nickbbb

Thank you for that! You must know me! Cause that does sound exactly what would happen to me haha. I will do as you say. Parts come in tomorrow.

Last edited on Tue Feb 13th, 2018 09:52 pm by Nickbbb

Posted: Tue Feb 13th, 2018 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Nickbbb

Last edited on Tue Feb 13th, 2018 09:52 pm by Nickbbb

Current time is 12:30 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Dip tube question Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems