thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > KENMORE 12 Year Limited Warranty

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
KENMORE 12 Year Limited Warranty  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 03:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SoCADesertRat

Kenmore Power Miser 12 Gas Water Heater Model No. 153.331544 (50 gallon) purchased 12-10-2007. It was installed by a licensed plumber.

The instruction manual says to inspect the anode rod annually after the warranty expires. The rod appears to be accessible from the top possibly under the draft hood. The warranty for parts and tank is 12 years so I am still within that period.
The heater seems to function OK and all I have noticed is that over time I have had to dial up a little on the temperature control to get the same level of hot water, but it never fails and is quiet.
This model has the swirl system that is supposed to reduce the sediment issue.
My thought is to have it service by a professional -- anode rod, drained, burner checked, gas valve, etc. to see if I could get some extended life out of it.
Any comments, insight and suggestions would be appreciated .
I am well into my Senior years with a bum knee, so do not wish to under take the servicing myself.
Many thanks in advance.,

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ODA

SoCADesertRat: My thought is to have it service by a professional -- anode rod, drained, burner checked, gas valve, etc. to see if I could get some extended life out of it.
Any comments, insight and suggestions would be appreciated .
I am well into my Senior years with a bum knee, so do not wish to under take the servicing myself.

Sounds good to me, with a few bits of advice.

First, purchase from from Randy (on this website) the following: A replacement anode. A supplemental combo anode. A curved dip tube.* A full port ball valve drain.

When the parts arrive at home, call around to a plumber or handyman.

Don't ask them their opinion (especially the plumber). Tell them what products you have, and that you want the products installed and the tank flushed.

The reason I say don't ask their opinion is not to denigrate plumbers or handymen. But it helps avoid the self doubt/pressure that some homeowners can get when they interact with contractors/tradesmen.

It happens. You call in to get your house HVAC heater its yearly check up. The guy shows up and spouts off a bunch of verbiage about how "Title 24 compliance"..."not to code"..."missing important safety equipment"... all of a sudden your yearly check up turns into full replacement/upgrade.

Well. Maybe you really needed that replacement. Or maybe you didn't, but your tech just upsold you, because he gets a commission off any sales he generates.

It happens.

You let the guy know right off the bat that you know what you want and what you don't want and you are less susceptible to and less likely to receive an unnecessary upsell sales pitch.

Now, if it turns out he can really point out a serious problem, well, that's different. But it should be obvious and quantifiable.

And even if you do have to replace your water heater, that stuff you bought from Randy will fit right into your new water heater just fine.

Best wishes.

* Measure from the top of the water heater to the drain valve and report this measurement in inches to Randy when ordering the dip tube.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
SoCADesertRat

Your thoughtfulness and thorough explanation is more than much appreciated. I will follow your recommendations and accomplish the order with Randy in the next few days.
Again, very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 05:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ODA

My pleasure. Go forth and do great things.

Last edited on Wed Mar 14th, 2018 05:25 pm by ODA

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2018 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
SoCADesertRat

I took a photo of the top of the water heater but it is too large a file to be uploaded.

There are only 32 inches from the top of the water heater to the ceiling. The vent through the roof is offset -- not in the center of the heater, but offset so the vent pipe runs at an angle from the heater to the roof vent pipe which is approximately in line with the the edge of the heater. Do I then get a shorter anode rode because of the limited overhead height?

Thanks, again.

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
eleent

Hi,  The thing to do would be to get a full length, but flexible anode rod. People have been installing water heaters in tight places for a long time.  I've seen ads for flex anodes dating back to the late 1940s! :D

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 02:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
SoCADesertRat

Thanks, Larry. Does Randy sell the flexible anodes?

Gib

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
ODA

Yes he does.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Flexible-HexHead-Magnesium-Anode.html

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Flexible-Combo-Magnesium-Anode-4-inch.html

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/sales-through-XCart.html[/url][url][url][/url]

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2018 10:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
SoCADesertRat

Super, I am on it.
Thanks. 👍

Current time is 04:01 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > KENMORE 12 Year Limited Warranty Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems