Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tankless gas water heaters  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2018 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
weyjohn

Anybody have updated information on efficiency and longevity? I am about to order two for a duplex I am building.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2018 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  I may be the wrong person to answer this as it may come across as negative, but if you want to go tankless, watch this video first: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=+why+tankless+vs+tank+water+heater+idiot&&view=detail&mid=BD3AC3043F2340C064A1BD3AC3043F2340C064A1&&FORM=VRDGAR  There are negatives to standard tankless, like longer time waiting for hot water (7 to 15 seconds) inability to deal with hard water, numerous warranty exclusions, and lack of performance, particularly at low flow rates. Getting a "tankless" that has a small tank built in, (like HTP and others make) gets around most of the troubles. Efficiency doesn't help your bottom line much if the unit needs lots of maintenance. Simple equipment is always better.  Have a look at the troubleshooting flow charts for tankless vs tank type heaters. Some tankless units flow charts cover three pages! Studies have shown that condensing tank type heaters are roughly the same efficiency as condensing tankless, with less to fail. ;)

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Sat May 12th, 2018 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pcunite

My understanding, I'm still researching ... tankless can't output high gpm when the incoming water is less than 50F. I need to supply two showers at once, so that is what turned me away from tankless. As far as efficiency goes, condensing storage tank water heaters are almost better. I suppose if you never use hot water, tankless is better.

Posted: Sat May 12th, 2018 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hi,  You got a chuckle!  If you never use hot water, no heater is best :D
Yours,  Larry

Current time is 12:37 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Tankless gas water heaters Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems