thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Stainless steel vs powered anode and needing 120 gal recovery rate

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stainless steel vs powered anode and needing 120 gal recovery rate  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 12th, 2018 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
pcunite

Hello, research has led me to this forum. I hope you can assist me in my conclusions.

Need:
To operate 2 showers (at the same time, so 4gpm?) back to back twice. In other words, 5 total showers, with the ability to run two of them at the same time. I understand this to mean 120 gal recovery rate.

Want:
Continuous hot water. Also, a desire to avoid the perceived danger of aluminum metal in my water.

Conclusion:
It seems like condensing storage water heaters made of stainless steel would meet my needs. Models include the Polaris PG10-50-130-2NV (an AO Smith BTS 130) or the HTP Phoenix PH76-50 (a Westinghouse WGR050NG076 ?). The Polaris 30 gal units are probably big enough but I was wondering how that would effect filling a jacuzzi tub from time to time.

Question:
Am I headed down the right path here? Am I reaching the right conclusions based on research? I could go with the AO Smith Vertex and use powered anodes to avoid the aluminum if that is a better idea. It just seems like the stainless steel models output never ending hot water and still meet my gpm.

Last edited on Sat May 12th, 2018 10:25 pm by pcunite

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat May 12th, 2018 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  I'd factor in that you can use magnesium anodes also.  This would let you use glass-lined tanks.  I'd also look into using 1.5 gpm shower heads and see what that does to your hot water generation needs. 

Regarding the tub, you need to figure out how many gallons of hot will be needed in winter and understand what temp rise is needed to be able to size the water heater.  Another approach would be to use a tankless heater for filling the tub and then size the rest of the system for the other uses. :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 04:16 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Stainless steel vs powered anode and needing 120 gal recovery rate Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems