thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > New heat pump hotwater tank with horrible water

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New heat pump hotwater tank with horrible water  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 01:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Deitzberg

I came back from vacation to a tank dripping water on the floor. I installed a heat pump for my HVAC system and it's been a good choice so far. I have really hard water. About two months after I moved into the house and got the water system running my hot water made the house smell horrible. So I pulled the anode and the smell was gone. 2 years later my fairly new tank is about to ruin my basement.

Short. Is a heat pump wh with a upgraded anode work? Is there a tank on the market with this option already?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

When you removed the anode, you doomed your water heater to rusting out early. It provides rust protection. You should have replaced it either with an aluminum/zinc anode or powered anode. Read my smelly water page at waterheaterrescue.com.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2018 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Deitzberg

I completely understand why my current tank failed. I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with heat pump hot water heaters and the powered anode setup.

Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
elenano

People with heat-pump heaters do buy them. I'm not sure you'll find anybody talking about that here, though. People only come here when something doesn't work.

If you have a water softener, you should get a powered anode. If not, aluminum/zinc usually works.

Randy Schuyler

Last edited on Thu Jun 7th, 2018 02:08 am by elenano

Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2018 02:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Deitzberg

I guess the lack of people talking about them might be a good sign or there not old enough to fail yet. I called Richmond and they suggested the Aluminium rods first.

I got a Richmond 50 Gallon Hybrid Electric today and the aluminium replacement anode. Hopefully I can report back some good news about the smell. My original whirlpool made me so mad I pulled it out on memorial Day weekend an hour before people were coming over for a party. It was nasty.

As far as the power anodes go does the one the site offers dip down into the tank or is that not necessary?

Posted: Fri Jun 8th, 2018 04:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
elenano

The solid probe-type anode is OK to use with a new tank. I'd be reluctant to use one with a tank in service for any length of time.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Sat Jul 7th, 2018 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Deitzberg

After about 3 weeks and minimal use the smell hit at week 4 with a vengeance. Anyone have some options I should look into.

Posted: Sat Jul 7th, 2018 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
elenano

Did you buy a powered anode from me? If so, under what name? If you bought it from me, I'll help you troubleshoot this. If you didn't, you're on your own. I don't provide customer service to other people's customers.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Sun Jul 8th, 2018 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Deitzberg

Not yet. I tried the Al replacement rod first. I was hoping that might do the trick. Once I get to work tomorrow I am going to order one. I wasn't sure if other people also tried chlorination or any other options for the smell.

Current time is 03:19 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > New heat pump hotwater tank with horrible water Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems