thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal Hybrid HW Heater

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal Hybrid HW Heater  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 5th, 2018 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sage789

I searched and found pretty old threads about this water heater, so wanted to ask if there's any new information on it with regards to replacing the Anode Rod? I'm on well water and am afraid not being able to replace the anode rod could lead to sulfur smell (in addition to shortening the tank's life.) I would prefer not to add a chlorine feeder to cut the sulfur smell, since we drink the water. (I suppose I could add the feeder just in front of the HW heater if all else failed).

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 04:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

What are you asking? The anode can be replaced just like any other provided you can get it loose.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Tue Nov 6th, 2018 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
sage789

I think it's under the heat pump that is mounted on top of the unit. I may add a bypass valve so that I can pour peroxide in when necessary. In addition to killing the bacteria that causes the smell, can peroxide extend the life of the anode rod if I can't replace it?

Posted: Wed Nov 7th, 2018 04:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello,  Peroxide should have little to no effect on anode life.  If you can make a powered anode fit, that might be the best long term solution.
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Thu Nov 8th, 2018 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
elenano

In the past, people have installed powered anodes in these heaters without difficulty. You do need to take off the compressor asseembly to get to the anode, and you'll need a socket extension because the anode will be down between the walls of the shell, but that's about all.

Randy Schuyler

Current time is 04:43 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal Hybrid HW Heater Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems