thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Is 12 Year old GE Gas Water heater savable?

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Is 12 Year old GE Gas Water heater savable?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2018 04:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jbirdawg

Anode has never been changed nor has this unit been flushed. I am handy enough to work on it. Wife, of course says, just get a new one. Tired of the discolored water. I am wondering if a flush and possibly a new anode may take care of it and save it for a longer period. It is in our unfinished basement with some space overhead. We are in Marietta, GA and have no water softeners applied. Any suggestions? I am new to the site and have not been all through the forum and am sure this has been asked previously. Thanks for your help in advance.
J

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2018 05:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

The odds are that the heater is toast. You can put in a new anode but either it will rust out anyway because it's too far gone, or you'll find yourself replacing the anode frequently. When there is extensive rust damage inside, new anodes get used up a lot faster. The time to replace the anode is around the end of warranty.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2018 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
eleent

Hello,  Discolored water can come from the rusting tank, or from steel pipes.  Do you have any steel (galvanized) plumbing? If not, the tank likely is toast.  If you do, I'd go ahead and check the anode.  If there is little of it left, you know there is tank damage.  If you find at least half of it left and functioning, I'd replace it and be hopeful! :D

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2018 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jbirdawg

Thanks, Larry. I have polybutylene pipes for the most part but am slowly replacing those with cpvc. So I suspect it is done. I was hoping to buy some time but it doesn't look good. Wish I knew then what I know now, right?

Posted: Mon Jan 22nd, 2018 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jbirdawg

Thanks so much for your reply Randy!

Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 11:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JohnTorres

Thank you so much for posting guys.

Current time is 09:17 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Is 12 Year old GE Gas Water heater savable? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems