thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Pilot Light flame too large

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pilot Light flame too large  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2018 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
whetstonedoug

Just replaced a 15 year old Whirlpool 40 gallon LP tank (converted), with a new AO Smith 30 gallon (also converted)... and am finding that the pilot flame is like three times larger than the Whirlpool's pilot light was.
And I can HEAR it, from 10 feet away...sounds almost like the burner is running on low! I think this is not right, but cannot find anywhere online which gives a reference to this, nor anyone who might hint at how to adjust the propane output to the pilot light. I don't want to find that my new water heater actually uses three times more propane when just sitting there...
anyone got any helpful input on this?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2018 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  Some controls have a pilot adjustment.  A photo of the control would be helpful. By "converted", do you mean the new heater has a convertible control, switchable from natural gas to propane? I want to make sure you're noy using propane with a natural gas only control.  A photo of side the control where what gas it can be used with is written, would be good to see also.  :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2018 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
whetstonedoug

Here's the photo. The model number is WV8880B1211, Honeywell. Would be fantastic if you knew what to tweak to adjust the flame size :)
Thank you.
p.s. the blow-up section shows where I reversed the 'plug', as per the conversion instructions... and you can see the "LP" tag on the fuel line, indicating I've switched out the "NG" manifold.

Attachment: waterheatercontrol.jpg (Downloaded 8 times)

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2019 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello,  I could not find anything about this control having an adjustable pilot.  :?  Though I did find sales literature saying the newer models have a bigger pilot... The only other thing that comes to mind for fixing this is to replace the pilot orifice with a smaller one. Getting that replacement might be tricky. Still, I'd go to AO Smith and tell them the problem and see what they propose to fix it. This could be considered a warranty issue.

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2019 08:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
whetstonedoug

Thanx Larry. I'll contact them... if I haven't already... got a few emails/messages out there...
But it's the holiday season... couldn't expect a quick answer from anyone (even my doc) ;)

Current time is 12:29 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Pilot Light flame too large Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems