thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Details on Ruud No. 25 Water Heater?

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Details on Ruud No. 25 Water Heater?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JackThompson

Hi there. I found a Ruud No. 25 water heater in my Dads off grid cabin and I suspect he was going to set it up for hot water in his off grid cabin.

It has a burner element but no pipes or tubing to connect it. Otherwise it looks complete.

I imagine back in the early 1900’s it ran on Natural Gas or Kerosene?

I’d like to make it work, and figure propane would be the easiest way to do it these days.. are there propane burners that would be suitable for this beauty? (Or is there a manual around that I might find to figure out how it was originally setup?)

Thanks!
Jack

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  If you can attach some photos of the burner and underside of the heater, I think I could probably give you some guidance on what to do to get it up and running. Just FYI, this is a sidearm heater, meant to be attached to a tank.  It uses convection to move heated water into the tank. Also, there were no automatic controls, just a gas valve to turn on or off. You NEVER want to fire this up and walk away from it for more than a few minutes. A good T&P relief valve on the tank is a must also. The attached photo of a Hotstream sidearm heater sort of shows the gas valve/burner configuration... :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Attachment: wh Hotstream.jpg (Downloaded 12 times)

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JackThompson

Thanks! I’ll get some pictures uploaded soon. (I’ll have to see if I can edit them to make them smaller)

So, if this heater is intended to connect to a water tank, what kind of tank do I need? Can I connect it to a modern water heater tank and use it like that? (Modern water heaters have the built-in overflow valve so that would be a plus.

Or is there an antique tank that would have to go with this?

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2019 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hi,  You could hook it up to a tall electric heater.  Remove both elements and use those ports to attach the inlet and outlet of the Ruud. Use large, long sweep fittings to get the best flow, as we're talking fractions of an ounce of driving pressure. :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Current time is 12:17 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Details on Ruud No. 25 Water Heater? Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems