thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > 2 tanks, Geo thermal and Hydrogen Sulfide Gas - Oh my!

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2 tanks, Geo thermal and Hydrogen Sulfide Gas - Oh my!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 6th, 2019 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
darebee

The meat of the question is which powered anodes do I use and how many?
We are new to this house and want to remedy the rotten egg smell.System has a 180 liter and a 270 tank that are 12 years old.The tanks are electric and the capacity is required because the hot water is the supplemental heat source when it is too cold here in Canada for the Geo-thermal to provide enough BTUs.
The tanks are neither in series or parallel! IMO it is series in and parallel out. The Geo heat exchanger feeds a bottom cold port on the small tank. The top cold port from that tank is connected to the top cold port on the large tank. Both hot outlets are teed together to feed the house hot water.
The original owner of the house that we bought from told me that there is only 1 anode rod required to protect the 2 tanks and that he has only 1 installed in the large tank. I presume that it is a standard aluminum rod and I have not verified this info.
The water supply is treated with a softener and an iron filter as well
Do I put 1 large pwered anode into just 1 tank or treat each tank indiviual?Which device(s) shoud I use.
Thank you very much for taking the time to assist me.

Last edited on Sun Oct 6th, 2019 06:27 pm by darebee

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Oct 6th, 2019 07:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  I think a diagram or photos of the plumbing would be useful as I cannot imagine a combined parallel/series system. Regarding anodes, each tank needs its own. That's just how anodes work. You might be able to add hydrogen peroxide to the tanks to help get rid of the odor for the time being. The rule of thumb is two pints of drug store hydrogen peroxide per forty gallons of storage. That's a start.
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Oct 7th, 2019 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
darebee

Thanks for the reply Larry.
You don't need a picture.
The tanks are plumbed exactly as I described.
The 2 top outlets (typically hot) are Tied together to a single outlet feed. The 2 top inlets (typically cold) are tied together (just a bridge) and the in-feed is tied into 1 of the tank drains.

Posted: Mon Oct 7th, 2019 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
elenano

Please buy a consultation here: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Consulting.html and I'll explore your situation and tell you what you need. Powered anode sales are what keep this forum going and I don't give away information about them here. Larry won't either when he's seen this.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
darebee

Thanks for your time

Current time is 12:52 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > 2 tanks, Geo thermal and Hydrogen Sulfide Gas - Oh my! Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems