thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > red plastic pilot valve cock knob for AO Smith water heater

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
red plastic pilot valve cock knob for AO Smith water heater  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2019 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Nathan85715

I broke the little knob on my (rescued) 1990's A.O. Smith 40 gallon residential water heater. The knob is to turn on/off the pilot valve. Are replacements of these knobs available? If so, where can I get/order one?

Attachment: pilot valve cock knob.jpg (Downloaded 14 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Oct 12th, 2019 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hi and thanks for including the photos.  As a temporary measure, you could find a narrow hose clamp to hold the knob together or even place a few turns of wire around the knob and twist the ends with pliers to tighten. These things could be temporary for years :cool:  To find a replacement knob, I think I'd first call the water heater manufacturer. If they can't help, call the control manufacturer. Another rather iffy approach would be to take the knob to your local appliance parts place and see what they have that could match. That hole inside of the knob with a flat side is commonly used on stoves.

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Mon Oct 14th, 2019 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Nathan85715

Thanks, Larry. I called A.O. Smith parts. The reply I got made me laugh. The friendly rep said, "Sir, I'm sorry, but that heater is older than I am, and we don't manufacture or maintain parts for heaters like it any more. I don't even have anything in my database about it." 

Posted: Tue Jan 14th, 2020 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SolarBill

Larry, et al,
Perhaps your local plumbing supply house offers "free" disposal of old tanks? If so, they usually stockpile the tanks until they have a truckload for the scrapper. Another source may be the scrapper. All great ideas with the worm/band clamp, wire reinforcement or other appliance knobs.
Best,Bill

Current time is 12:15 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > red plastic pilot valve cock knob for AO Smith water heater Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems