thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Air in Hot water Tank (summer camp)

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Air in Hot water Tank (summer camp)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2018 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rfh233

I installed a powered anode in 2016 and ever since air in tank. When the camp is un occupied for several weeks, air builds up in the hot water tank. If camp is being used the problem seems to go away. Question Would the instillation of an air bleeder (example Spirovent) solve this problem ? Any other solutions would be appreciated.

Last edited on Tue Oct 16th, 2018 02:20 pm by rfh233

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2018 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

First off, did you buy it from Water Heater Rescue? And which brand of powered anode?

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2018 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
rfh233

Yes, I purchased the power anode from Water rescue on 03/21/2017. I believe it is the Hex Head anode SKU27 for $ 253.54. Does that sound correct ?

Sorry, it is the sku25 on my AO Smith heater

Bob Hathaway

Last edited on Tue Oct 16th, 2018 10:04 pm by rfh233

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2018 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
eleent

Hello, You can take care of gas generated in the heater by adding a vent at the top.  This is done by installing a "T" in the hot outlet so that the side port on the "T" is facing sideways. Now take your hot water to the house from the side port.  At the top port, bush down so you can install a float vent. These usually have 1/4 or 1/8 inch threads. The only downside is that if you have hard water, the vent will plug up periodically and need to be cleaned with white vinegar at times. ;)
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2018 10:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
rfh233

Thanks for the response. I will try that in the spring when we open the camp up again for the season.

Bob

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
elenano

There may be another way to do it, but it won't work as Larry described because the powered anode sits in the top port of the tee. I suggest testing with a multimeter and possibly turning down the output some. At some point, e-mail me at mail@waterheaterrescue.com for testing instructions, and remind me who you are and the details of the situation. You won't want to turn it down too much, though, or you'll compromise the protection it gives the water heater.

Randy Schuyler

Last edited on Wed Oct 17th, 2018 06:07 pm by elenano

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
rfh233

Hello elenano,

I am Bob (Hathaway Pt. Repair) and originally asked if a Spirovent ( https://www.pexuniverse.com/spirotherm-vjr075-spirovent-3-4-air-eliminator ) would eliminate my air problem. I believe that Larry felt that a 2nd "T" added to the HW Outflow with an air vent installed would work. The believe that the spirovent VJR075 would take place of the "T" on the HW out line and eliminate any air. Unfortunately until the camp is opened up again in the spring, I wont know if this will work or not.
Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

Bob

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
elenano

I deal with powered anodes all the time. Larry is familiar with them, but it isn't part of his daily fare. The reverse is true of the air vents. I know what they are, but he's dealt with them more. My thought is he was thinking of a simple tee with the vent in the top and the water flowing out the side because he didn't realize that SKU25 uses a tee already and the anode has to occupy the top port. It might be possible to plumb a second tee past the side port of the first tee with the air vent it ITS top port, but I'm not certain it will work. Larry will know more about that.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
rfh233

I really appreciate all the input in this matter. Until warm weather and spring comes I am at a stopping point. I will try the "spirovent VJR075" as it is designed to be used in Hot Water system piping to remove all air in the hot water stream. Or I could just turn on a hot water faucet and bleed the air out and save some $$, but I enjoy the challenge. Should it work, I will try to send a picture of the install early next summer. The powered anode has fixed the smelly water problem and could not do without it. Great product, great support, thanks.

Bob Hathaway

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 05:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
eleent

Hello,  The Spirovent is a nice unit, but might be overkill.  It is designed to remove air from a relatively fast flowing stream, while a standard air vent isn't.  But gas is generated slowly in the tank, so as long as gravity can be used to collect the bubbles of gas and they get directed to the vent, all is good.  Also, the Spirovent is 80-90 dollars while a plain Watts vent is more like 10.

As far as how to install it even when a powered anode is in the way, it would not be hard to add a second "T" just downstream of the first one and face a port straight up, for the vent to be installed into. :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri May 10th, 2019 12:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
rfh233

Spring has come and as soon as I can get the water in camp going for the season (lake high water has washed out our road) I will keep all interested informed as to how the Spirovent Air Eliminator works for me. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Bob

Posted: Fri Jun 21st, 2019 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
rfh233

Finally summer has come and the Spirovent installed. I came off the power anode T with a union then into spirovent and on to Hot out. Easy install and when Hot Water tank was filling, all air was vented out the spirovent until tank full with 0 problems. System now on for 2 weeks and no more air in hot water line. The spirovent JR may be overkill and pricey, but it is working really well and has taken care of my air problem. Thanks for all of your input in this matter.

Bob

Current time is 12:05 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Air in Hot water Tank (summer camp) Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems