thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > New water heater - hair loss, skin rash

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New water heater - hair loss, skin rash  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2019 02:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
showarama

This issue is stumping me. Had a plumber install a new Rheem 40 gallon gas unit. A week later started noticing a skin rash and some hair loss that gradually got worse. No other changes were made. I noticed the hot water seemed slightly harder, but didn’t think anything of it. Would a new water heater potentially cause such an issue? Is there any chemical residue in the tank from the manufacturering process? Thanks for any insights.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2019 04:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  I've heard of people with chemical sensitivities having problems with the aluminum anode some tanks come with, but Rheem usually uses magnesium anodes, which are considered non-toxic. I think I'd check to confirm what kind of anode you have and then do a test, putting a nipple and cap in the anode port and trying the water for up to a week to see if the problem abates. If it does, a different anode is needed. Normally, there is nothing in a heater that is reactive, mostly just glass and steel. Please do let us know how it goes.
Yours,  Larry

Posted: Wed Jan 30th, 2019 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
showarama

Thank you for the suggestion. That's a good idea and an easy test that I'll try.

The Rheem model is this one: prog40-38u-rh62-ec1. Couldn't find online what type of anode rod it has...anyone out there know?

Current time is 11:56 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > New water heater - hair loss, skin rash Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems