Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Not enough hot water  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 12:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
thektklan

Hey guys just recently moved into a new house(well preowned house). But I noticed that the gas water heater is always luke warm. So looked at the water heater and the thermostat is at the very hot setting but still doesn’t get any hotter than usual. I see all the burners are working as it should too. So that’s about where my troubleshooting ends on my part since I don’t know much about gas water heaters. Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

There are a lot of possibilities, so let's start by getting some information. When you say it's always lukewarm, where are you testing? At a faucet or at the water heater drain valve. If you've tested at a faucet, try at the drain valve and see if it's the same. Meantime, we'd like a picture of the manufacturer's label on the side showing the serial number.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
thektklan

Tested from every faucet in the house. I haven’t tried the drain valve yet. The thermostat is set to very hot with no change in temperature.

Attachment: A07E641C-481E-48C5-9976-1879F4F8A047.jpeg (Downloaded 4 times)

Posted: Thu Sep 26th, 2019 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
elenano

I'm afraid this isn't what I had in mind. There should be a label glued to the side of the tank that shows make, model, serial, gallonage etc.

If it's an old tank, certain things are likely that won't be the case with a new tank. But meanwhile, use the Tanklets link on the left side of the Tank topics index and when you get there, click on Cross Connections and perform the test described. Let us know the result and get us that label.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
thektklan

This must be it.

Attachment: 2EAC74EE-5466-450F-AFEF-FEF2CC3214EF.jpeg (Downloaded 4 times)

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
thektklan

Also the copper pipe on the cold side of the heater is a little bit warm about half way up the pipe too. Not sure it that’s normal or not. Thanks

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 12:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
eleent

Hello, I think I follow what Randy's been thinking. One thing that may be happening is a cross connection in the piping.  The fairly simple test for it is to turn off the cold supply to your water heater, then open a hot tap.  Does the water stop flowing in a few seconds or does it keep running? If it keeps running, there is a cross connection to find and fix. There are other things to look at, but do let us know what the results of the cross connection test are and we can go from there :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 01:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
thektklan

I did the test and the cold water did shut off. However the valve on the cold side of the heater shut off the hot water. Not sure if these pipes are installed correctly. Also someone mentioned a shower valve cartridge that could cause the problem too.

Attachment: B1920CB7-AB23-4CE8-84B4-DFC504309B27.jpeg (Downloaded 4 times)

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
elenano

That's true, but if the cold shutoff stopped flow, it's not that. The heater is old enough that there is a chance that it could be a breaking dip tube. They usually last at least 15 years, but it could be that. The pipes above the heater being warm is normal.

I might as well ask right now if the water is cooler after no use, and gets hotter when someone has been using water.

Randy Schuyler

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
thektklan

Yes it is cooler after no use it does get a lil hotter but not much. In my earlier post I mentioned that the thermostat is set to very hot. So I’m theory the water should be scalding.

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2019 05:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
eleent

Hi, Another quick test is to put a hand (or finger tip) on both the hot and cold pipes on top of the heater. Have somebody turn on a hot tap. Feel the temperature changes in both lines. The cold side should cool down while the hot side should heat up. (If they don't do that and the cold line gets hot, the pipes are reversed!) If the hot side heats up to be hotter that what you're getting from the taps, there must be a problem out in the plumbing. If it heats only up to the delivered temperature, the problem is likely the thermostat. Thermostats are not cheap, your heater looks like it might be supplied with softened water and it is somewhere between ten and thirteen years old. The softened water makes anodes get used up faster, which implies there is a higher likelihood of rust damage inside of the tank.
If the hot side gets hot initially, but then cools some, the dip tube is probably bad. Again, let us know what you discover. :cool:
Yours,  Larry

Current time is 12:36 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Not enough hot water Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems