Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Heat Traps  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 19th, 2019 08:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
suki2

I have used Corrugated copper tubing to make "S" bend heat traps before but now there seems to be a debate whether
corrugated stainless steel tubing is better. I know that if the copper develops a pinhole leak that it can be fixed but stainless steel must be replaced. What is the current thinking about this question, Also, is there an opinion on "S" bends versus loops for heat traps. Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Nov 19th, 2019 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
eleent

Hello,  Regarding copper vs stainless, it really depends on your water quality. In my area I have seen copper connectors get pinhole leaks, but it's rare and takes many years. So, if you have frequent problems with copper, switch to stainless. Stainless might not like softened water because of the higher salt content however, so I would stick with copper if you use softened water. Some benefits of stainless is it's greater flexibility and that it doesn't work harden like copper, so is easier to make work in tight places. With either type of flex connector, I like to make sure it has a true dielectric built into the ends. You can tell because you'll see a plastic ring between the nut and tubing, along with the rubber washer.

About heat traps, the shape of the trap doesn't really matter.  What does matter is the depth of the trap.  I like to get at least six inches of height in the "trap".
Yours,  Larry
ps, with either type of connector, go back after it's been in place for six months and re-tighten the nuts.  The rubber washer can shrink, making the fitting loose.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 08:46 am  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Heat Traps Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems