thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Thermostat set to 125, water temp 150 at tap

Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Thermostat set to 125, water temp 150 at tap  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 9th, 2019 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
NoleATL

A couple months ago our water was clearly MUCH hotter than normal for a day or so. Called plumber and of course it wasn't happening any longer. I used our instant cooking thermometer to check water temp and it was about 118 with thermostat set at 125. He didn't have any good explanation and probably thought we were mistaken. He did a cursory review without getting into the tank. Didn't see an issue. Now, 2 months later, it is happening again, I used the same thermometer and it is around 148 degrees at tap.

Its State Select, electric, 80 gallon, 2 elements, almost 7 years old. Seems to be a 6 year heater.

Any ideas on what may be failing? I imagine we'll get a new one... not 80 gallons because its only a 3 bed/bath townhouse.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Dec 9th, 2019 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
elenano

Likely it's a bad thermostat, but the simplest thing is to check everything with a multimeter. There is a walk-through in Tanklets, on my main site, here: https://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/Tanklets/electric-water-heater-issues.html . No matter what it is, running through this will find it.

If you don't know how to use a multimeter or are not comfortable working with 220 volts, get an electrician or plumber to do it. These things are common to electric water heaters and are not grounds for buying a new one.
Randy Schuyler

Posted: Tue Dec 10th, 2019 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
eleent

Hi, One other thing it could be is an element that is failing. If an element has an electrical leak to ground, it basically doesn’t stop heating, though it heats very slowly. Use a volt ohm meter to see if there is a problem by measuring between each element wire connection and the steel flange of the element. Power must be off and wires unhooked. Use the ohms times 1000 scale. If the element is good, the reading will be zero.

Yours, Larry

Ps, Any evidence of water or heat is burned smell around a thermostat points to it being damaged.

Posted: Tue Jan 14th, 2020 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SolarBill

NoleATL, Randy, & Larry,
Is stacking an issue for electric tank water heaters?
Thanks,
Bill Loesch

Posted: Wed Jan 15th, 2020 03:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
eleent

Hi,  I suppose stacking COULD be a problem, but it's not something I've run into. Stacking is caused by frequent small draws, telling the thermostat that it needs to turn on. Roughly, gas heats three times faster than electric, so with an electric heater, the plume of hot water rising to the top of the tank will be much smaller than what a gas heater gives. Does that help?  :cool:

Yours,  Larry

Current time is 10:16 pm  
thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com > Forums > The Tank > Thermostat set to 125, water temp 150 at tap Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems